October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween

Well here we are Halloween....well now keep in mind for many years Halloween for us was pretty boring...we generally popped some popcorn and watched a movie and gave candy to the young lads however it has since become more active. Kelsen will be dressed up tonight and I hope to have some pictures within the next few days....hopefully he will cooperate.

I do want to talk about "Gate Night"...this night was (maybe still is) reserved for Oct 30 of every year. Growing up in small town Regent (no cops) it was a night for all hell to break loose. To give you some ideas what happens on Gate Night you will have to use your imagination. Imagine this if you will. Grain augers, washers and dryers, and cars all placed in the middle of city streets by young pranksters......houses egged and tp'd......EVERYBODY was a target, although the eggs and tp were generally reserved for not very well liked teachers......

Halloween in Regent was great........people always gave out plenty of good snacks (although I always threw out the popcorn balls, candy corn and razor blades) but the Grandaddy of them all was Richter's. The richest family at the time (also the banker) always gave out FULL SIZE candy bars...I mean kids would go back with different costumes (this means me) 2 or 3 times to get the full monty. Now keep in mind RICHters (not lying) lived on the outskirts of town. Now I now Regent is not that big but when you are in costume and having already walked thru town TWICE you deserved a FULL size Snickers....

Here to wishing everyone a safe and Happy Halloween.......

No comments: